1.25.2009

I Tackled Something White, Guess What It Was

So one of the advantages to the Asian lifestyle is the convenience that comes in their bathroom planning. Whereas we in America are wasteful and feel the need to have two whole separate areas for acts such as peeing/pooing and showering, Asia says "Nay, we don't need clutter like that." So what do they do? Each bathroom in our guesthouse comes complete with a little shower head connected to hot and cold pipes. The floor includes, of course, drainage for this practice. However, regardless of the circumference of the drain or the strategic placement of your body, the result of Asia's space concerns is a pretty wet bathroom.

Now, nine tenths of the time, this isn't a problem. In fact, for a long time we used it to our advantages, allowing shower time to be synonymous with red-biting-ants-that-are-infesting-our-bathroom-killing-time. The one day we chose to attempt (read: FAIL AT) washing our own clothes pretty much saw an end to those twerps.

That one tenth of a time that the wet bathroom is a problem though, that time is a bitch. We (TinMan and I) woke up a morning or two ago to the sounds of pounding on our door. Being closest to the door, I saw it as my duty to determine who should attend to the knocking problem. As I lay sleep-deprivedly, I say to TinMan "TinMan, I'm pretty sure there's someone at the door." In his nap-needing manner, he replies "Nah, I don't think so." This is followed momentarily by another knock, to which I say, "That was definitely a knock." TinMan procedes to venture out of his bed, still clad in his drawers and wife beater (a manly set of PJs I must say), and pull the door as open as the tiny chain lock allows it. Hiding behind the door, sticking his head into the gap, and my sleepy feet in full view to whoever lurked beyond the wooden seperator, TinMan discussed the fact that he did not, matter of fact, know the location of one of our travelers. He closed the door and, noticing that our alarm was to go off any moment now, decided to shower.

I laid around while he cleansed his outer body (his soul remaining as dirty as ever) and decided, upon his emergence from his water capsule, that I should get some dirty laundry together in order to have it cleaned. Quickly after sitting up for the first time, it came to my attention that peeing was a must. I bolted (being my first mistake) into our drenched (the forgetting of which being my second mistake) bathroom to relieve my obviously pregnant blatter.

Entering the water closet is when things went south. Literally. Quite literally actually, assuming you consider south to be synonomous with down. Because my first step into the washroom decided that stability was unnecessary and rather sent my feet sliding forward, my ass backwards, and the rest of my body metaphorically south. On my way down, I did what most in said scenario do, I reached out for things to slow my fall. In this case, that was embodied by the sink to my right. After it failed at preventing the fall, I landed, hard, and looked to my right to notice that the sink, once somewhat firmly attached to our wall, was sitting next to me on the ground.

For the first moment, I experienced little but shock at the whole event. The second moment included savage fear that the room would start to fill with water from the unhinged sink. The third moment was figuring out how to reattach the sink as nonchalantly as possible. TinMan questioned my wellness, to which I assured him that I was still in one piece. After hooking the sink back onto the wall (because indeed that was all keeping it up in the first place), I proceeded to adjust the toilet seat I had kicked off the toilet in my tumble. Then I peed. It was great.

After the ensuing shower that I felt I deserved, my eyes found the gigantic crack that had grown in our sink. Assuming no responsibilty whatsoever, I refused to believe it was from the earlier events. I tried using said sink, only to be met with an amount of water on the floor that rivaled that that came out of the shower moments earlier.

It wasn't until later that I found the gash on my foot.

They fixed our sink today, at no charge to us. Rad.

2 comments:

  1. I hear open sores get infected easily in Chiang Mai.

    Might I suggest an antiseptic?

    I'm playing this image back in my head, only I somehow skipped the bit where you mention that your associate was finished with his shower, and while I now understand this to be a false interpretation, I like the way that would complicate the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you interested in having your blog linked on the WC blogroll?

    ReplyDelete